Traveller-AR uses iPhone Augmented Reality to:
- See a virtual 3D world over-layed on the real world through the window of your iPhone.
- Allow you to move your phone around in real-space, and explore virtual space as though looking through a window to unreality.
- Place you in the virtual world, near your actual GPS position.
- Provide travel bonuses and trading bonuses based on your actual GPS position.
- Discover and interact with other real players near your actual GPS position
- Find yourself drawn in to an iPhone RPG environment never seen before, explore the universe in your own backyard.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwUuCO6CVj4[/youtube]Imagine wearing glasses, and seeing huge spaceships in the sky, a mega-battle over your home-city, space men walking on your lawn… Augmented Reality is the idea that the world we live in (reality) can be augmented with data/graphics/icons/information for a real-time interactive visual experience. Traveller-AR uses many of the advanced technologies of the iPhone to bring Augmented Reality to iPhone MMORPG gaming.
In Traveller-AR, we use Augmented Reality to:
- Paint the ‘real’ sky around you as our game canvas.
- Remove the constraints of gaming on a phone, a monitor, or even a BigScreen, and let you “wave your phone around” in real space, and see fully rendered 3D objects drawn on top of what your camera sees.
- Use your iPhone’s Compass and Accelerometers to let you “look around” you in full 360 degrees by 360 degrees of freedom (just as if you had a huge window in your ship’s cockpit or bridge).
- Use your iPhone’s GPS to detect your location and help you connect with other real players near you physically as well as virtually.
- Use your iPhone’s Camera to bring forward the real world and let it interact with the objects in the iPhone RPG game.
Augmented Reality isn’t the only way to play Traveller-AR, but it might be the most exciting and immersive way. It is quite a sight to see a huge planet hanging over your home-town, and see a spaceship fly in from around one of the buildings in your city. For those who want a more “strategic” and Classic Traveller experience, check out our HexMode.